Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Personal Battle With High Blood Pressure


My Personal Battle With High Blood Pressure
It all started when I was just 25 years old. I had just graduated and was working for one of the top investment banks on Wall Street. Life was good. I joined the corporate gym and the trainer told me I had borderline high blood pressure but he would still let me join the gym. I didn't really think it was a big deal at the time.
Then I had a routine blood pressure check at my local doctor's clinic. He told me I had high blood pressure...just. He told me to "keep an eye on it". "Sure thing doc, whatever," I thought to myself. Surely it was nothing to worry about.
A few years later I had surgery for a minor problem. And every time the hospital staff measured my blood pressure they were shocked and told me I had "quite high blood pressure". By now I was started to get worried about this - maybe I should do something about it, maybe I should learn more about blood pressure? I did what any normal person does - I "googled" it on the internet!
I was shocked to discover that even a 10 point rise in blood pressure can lead to a doubling in risk of a heart attack or stroke! They call it "the silent killer" because so many people have high blood pressure and they don't know it because it never shows any symptoms. I didn't want to be another statistic. I realized that I had to do something about it quickly or I risked losing my life before I wanted it to end.
Everywhere I looked said that you had to go on drugs. There are 4 types of drugs for high blood pressure and none of them were invented to treat the disease. They were invented for other conditions and the side effects were really bad. Dry mouth, frequently needing to urinate, dizziness, constipation, gout, poor sleep and even erectile dysfunction! The worst part was that you must take these drugs for the rest of your life! I went from being worried about by high blood pressure to feeling angry that this was to be my future. Why me?
I said to myself - there is no way I am going to take these debilitating drugs for the rest of my life. There must surely be another way. I committed myself to learning anything and everything about high blood pressure and how to get it back down without drugs. I spoke to everyone I could think of and listened with a completely open mind. What I learned shocked me.
I discovered that there is a sub-group of former hypertensives who have lowered their blood pressure with 100% natural methods. These people do not use any drugs whatsoever. So why did I have to look so hard to find this out? Why do doctors tell you that you must take drugs? Why is anybody taking drugs if you don't need them?
I realised that much of the medical industry is corrupt. Pharmaceutical companies pay millions of dollars to lobbyists every year to influence law making. Their sales representatives give kickbacks to healthcare organizations to encourage them to use their particular brand of drugs. And expensive patented drugs are promoted over more effective but cheaper generics because there's no money in them. Even so-called impartial clinical trials are secretly funded "off-book" to promote one drug over another. The result is that drugs get the limelight and natural methods unfairly take a back seat.I learned everything there was to know about these natural methods. And then I decided to use them on myself. If they can work for hundreds of thousands of people whose voices are drowned out by the medical money-making machine then surely they can work for me, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment